Monday, April 17, 2006

Liverocket Portfolio Update

There haven't been any changes to the portfolio. This is more of a reminder.
STOCK SHARES PURCHASE PRICE
ET 500 $23.71
GHL 150 $63.65
GRP 250 $42.3
JLG 200 $29.76
JOYG 100 $58.7
MDR 135 $51.15
MRVL 200 $63.69
NTRI 115 $48.05
STX 500 $24.35
TEVA 200 $41.6
TIE 400 $41.8
TRID 400 $28.11
cash $99.45
Total value (4/17/06): $128,571
Value at start (11/3/2005): $99,539
--------------
Performance to date (as of today): 29.2%
DOW (same period) 5.2%
S&P: 5.4%
NASDAQ: 6.5%
--------------
Since inception, we have invested 32 times in 23 stocks, several of which we got back in after getting stopped out.
Of the 20 trades where we have closed our position, we made money on 15 and lost money on 5.
Our losses have totaled ~$4.3K.
We currently have 12 stocks in the portfolio, 4 of which have paper losses in the amount of $2.1K.
JLG, JOYG, MDR have been winners for us in th epast, generating 40%+ returns before we stopped out.
MRVL and STX have also been good, driving ~25%+
---------------
This portfolio was started to show that one can beat the market (Dow Jones Industrials, S&P 500, & NASDAQ). In fact, I committed to beating the market by an additional 2% each month.
At this time, I am averaging 4% (with 2 weeks left in month 6).

I follow my own proprietary stock picking process. Not every stock has been a winner.

  • Of the 5 stocks we lost money on, 2 were losses of 3.5% and 1%.
  • Of the 4 stocks we currently have that are losing money, 3 are nominal paper losses <-5%.
From a trading standpoint, I follow basic rules:
  • Invest in fundamentals. Avoid speculation whenever possible.
  • Never be greedy - always assume that I will leave some money on the table (I'll never get in at the absolute low or leave at the absolute high)
  • Always try to lock in a large gain so that it doesn't become a small gain
  • Always try to lock in a small gain so that it doesn't become a small loss
  • Always try to cut the small loss so that it doesn't become a large loss
  • Always re-think my assumptions. Don't get emotional about a stock. This is business, not marriage

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow liverocket performance is very good.Does one need to pay advance taxes on the short term capital gains ? I'm amazed that I could beat Liverocket performance oflate :) During Nov'05-Apr'06 I'm able to get 34% returns.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Taxes are something to consider.

Long term capital gains is taxed at 15%, short term at

So the extra taxes anyone will pay making short term trades is 35% (if you earn ~$400K). That's a 20% extra tax on capital gains (less for lower income families).

I prefer the lower tax rate, but I prefer locking in profits and minimizing losses even more. That strategy is what has returned the high returns for LIVEROCKET.

We would have lost all capital chasing that lower tax rate and sitting on losses.

In any event, using pre-tax performance is valid at this time: we haven't even been around 6 months. When we get to 1 year and see the results, what will we see? We'll find out, but that extra 20% has a marginal effect on the fact that we are dramatically outperforming the market.

In the meantime, I did not understand your comment:
"I'm amazed that I could beat Liverocket performance oflate :) During Nov'05-Apr'06 I'm able to get 34% returns"

Are you getting better than 35% returns? Or do you mean that you are beating our 1 month 15% return?
If you have better performing stocks, please share.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liverocket picks are the best,No doubt in it.I meant to say that I got 34% returns so far on my capital(Nov-April) due to options/shortselling & couple of stocks.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home