Thursday, January 12, 2006

Oil prices to zip up

In my Nov 22nd post, I mentioned that Iran would start to impact oil prices and particularly as the UN started to get involved. Well, th etime has come.

I called out that stocks would show volatility and swing 3% in a day. Today was a great example - almost all LIVEROCKET stocks went up and then came down 1%~3% from the day's highs thanks to rises in oil.

This will continue for months, so be patient. We are out of oil exposed companies (i.e. JBLU).
Lets use these downturns as buying opportunities.
------------------------------
I will be posting over the weekend a bit more about my love of AKAM, SNDK, & STX and how they relate back to the axiom that I learned back in my semiconductor days:
more cheap storage/memory
leads to more applications
leads to more demand for systems
which leads to more demand for storage

The iPOD led video download movement puts at the applications/systems point. Which will drive mucho storage.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still bullish on MDR and JOYG? Did you stop out today?

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of storage... what do you make of the samsung 16gb nand flashes coming out soon? I think that its going to impact hdd sales as it matures.

agent tokyo

3:26 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I love MDR and loaded up more on the recent dip. MDR touches Uranium, coal and oil. JOYG is another winner. No, we did not hit the stops today.

As for storage, NAND inveatment is surging and confirms the Sandisk message. I think flash will grow in different markets than HDD. For instance, HDD never had a shot at digital cameras and cameras. I do think flash is a better solution for iPODs because of size, lack of mechanical parts, and battery consumption. But they are also more expensive, even with the constant drop in memory prices.

Rather, flash will drive new product development.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home