Saturday, May 20, 2006

Week 28 Performance - LiveRocket Down 1.29%

Week 28 (versus previous week)
Dow -2.08%
S&P -1.86%
NASDAQ -2.23%
LiveRocket -1.29%

YTD
Dow 3.98%
S&P 1.52%
NASDAQ -0.5%
LiveRocket 26.96%

Since Inception (Nov 4, 2005)
Dow 5.9%
S&P 3.9%
NASDAQ 1.2%
LiveRocket 39.05%

We were stopped out of all stocks except for TRID. We also added 200 shares to our TRID position.
The current portfolio is
TRID 636 shares @ $26.82 (blended price)
Cash $121,050.12
Total current value: $138,407

While I felt Friday was a re-entry day, I waited to see if the options expiration would play a role. That waiting obviously meant that we missed getting back into severl stocks especially TIE.

Will it be business as usual next week? For many stocks, yes. Money will come creeping back in. I see signs of life in some select tech stocks.

I am particularly dismayed by the energy stocks (GRP/JOYG/MDR). They continue to show signs of incredible growth (triple digit earnings growth) and they are not overpriced. I am interpreting this as a market fear that gas prices will be coming down, as evidenced by US oil inventory increases this week and by OPEC reluctance to reduce production. I don't believe that prices will be coming down anytime soon. Moreover, OPEC is looking to drill new fields, and that's great news for equipment vendors.

I see some sector rotation out of commodities and energy stocks and into alternative energy and tech. Yes, I know that the NASDAQ has lost some 5%+ in the last 2 weeks, but I think that what goes around, comes around: MRVL's solid earnings release showed life still exists in the tech sector. STX came back a few points as proof. I will watch and see. Tech usually lulls in the summer, but the massive selloff may pull that turnaround in sooner, making June a good time for tech.

Speaking of tech, TRID enjoyed a nice return this week. Circuit City announced that LCD TVs are flying off the shelves, and we know that that is great news for TRID.

I am still analyzing a few stocks, but Monday I expect to buy into a few. I may buy back into oil services/equipment precisely because they have been oversold IMHO. I will post later this weekend the stocks I will be buying.

Also, please let me know if you have any interest in a second, more aggressive portfolio. Say, LiveRocket Turbo.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Andrew Go! :) It WILL be interesting to see how more aggressive we can get. I, for one, am not even sure I understand the term aggressive investing clearly -- how does one cherry-pick for, say, your current portfolio (which I think is aggressive as is with an awesome performance!) versus one which is even MORE aggressive! I am sure a lot of folks, novices as well as EXPERIENCED, are gonna love your analysis. Finally, could you point to some good sources of information/websites/books etc that will help me ramp up to speed? When taking decisions how do you analyze a stock? Just yhoo fin? What other sources can one use? Answers to all of the above questions would I am sure be enlightening to all your blog fans!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we need to have turbo ASAP.We are in terrible house of pain.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to the investment scene. Started reading your blog recently and found it enlightening. I'd sure like to see what aggressive means and how various instruments like options are played. Thanks for sharing your analysis.
I'd also be interested in your source(s) of information.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

I just love your analysis. When I thought why you didnt buy on Friday as it went near bottom, today I realise we didn't miss it, and we are better off without the buy. I am not a big investor with 100k, but I am ready to lose everything I have about 10k for trading. So, yes, if you are thinking to go for turbo, I would vote YES. Thank you for everything.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

A lot of folks have asked me about my sources of information. Really, I just read Yahoo Finance and a few other news sources. Then I do research on Yahoo Financials.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home