Thursday, February 02, 2006

NTRI - What happened

I am sorry if anyone bought and watched the price plummet. As I will explain in a moment, please keep the faith.

First, let me also be clear. I own the stocks that I present in LIVEROCKET's portfolio. I put my own money where my mouth is. I know the pain all to owell when one of my choices goes down. And for anyone following my advice, I feel a heavy burden when my suggestons don't immediately pan out.

On the one hand, this is a good time to remind everyone about the hazards of picking one stock out of the LIVEROCKET portfolio and going with it. This is a portfolio which is hedging growth in several markets. As soon as you go with just one stock out of this portfolio, you open yourself up to a lot of risk.

That still doesn't make up for buying a stinker. Or is this a stinker? I don't think so - NTRI released some very good news, only to plummet from the $48 buy price to $41.xx.

NTRI pre-announced as follows.
Sales: $70M or 12% higher than expected
Earnings: $0.16 estimated and that's $0.01 below consensus expectations

Then they provided guidance for 2006 and for this quarter
Q1 revenues: ~$115M (versus $37M last year Q1) or up 200%
Customer base growing 170%
Q1 earnings: estimated at $0.35~$0.38 (versus $0.33 consensus)

Why would the market care about one penny this quarter when NTRI went on record that it expects to exceed by up to 5 pennies next quarter? I believe that it is partly the pre-earnings run up and partly because the market was shocked that sales growth was 'falling' from 600% to 200%. As an investor, I never expected that 600% number to remain: Q4 '04 was the last quarter before NTRI began selling on QVC or when their sales jumped from $8M to $37M.

Track the sales
Q4 '04 $8M
Q1 '05 $37M
Q2 '05 $41M
Q3 '05 $67M
Q4 '05 $70M
Q1 '06 est $115M

Analysts will also have to revise 2006 earnings expectations, currently at $1.22. If NTRI hits $0.35 this quarter and holds at that level, that's a 20% upside surprise for analysts. And that assumes flat sales. If they even grow beyond today, that's more upside surprise.
Forward P/E today ($1.22) 34
Forward P/E revised ($1.40) 30
Forward P/E with 10% upside ($1.54) 27

(Can they hit their target numbers? As we roll out of holiday season and Spring comes forward, expect lots of advertising around getting in shape for bikini season.)

This is a company with sales more than tripling, earnings doubling, but they are getting a P/E of ~30???? THIS IS A SCREAMING BUY OPPORTUNITY.

Keep the faith. As we get closer to next quarter, people will start to wake up to the doubling of earnings and get excited again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Network Samurai said...

Looking at this as a buy opportunity. Just thought it interesting that investors didn't like the news. I guess the old saying buy on speculation, sell on news hit the mark this time with some investors..

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldnt agree more! Its a screaming buy opportunity. Feel bad though that we jumped in just before this news.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Network Samurai said...

Yet another buying opportunity today. Wonder why they are so weak right now? Didn't see any news, but they are down 8% right now...

8:00 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I am looking at them and wondering as well. Volume is high, so I suspect institutional dumping ahead of earnings release. Profit taking most likely. Classic small cap company behavior.

I continue to believe in this company and am really unhappy with this sentiment. I do not like fighting market sentiment and clearly it is punishing NTRI. They are well below the 50 day and now closing in on the 100 day moving average.
This is a sign of wholesale dumping.

I like the fundamentals and continue to believe in this company. It is now trading at a forward P/E of 30 which will be likely revised next quarter to 25. And the company expects to triple their business this year.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home