Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Market should do well today

Mixed news about banks
* UBS writes off $19B
* Deutsche Bank writes off $4B
* Lehman (LEH) obtained $3B in private financing last night.

I think the UBS write-down is shocking but also a relief - it's a touch of reality and a possible sign that they are finally recognizing the extent of the problem.

The LEH move is a positive because many expected it to go belly-up

Removing the uncertainty will boost markets.

I think Financials are bottoming (ETFC looks good for a 2nd bite). But the rest of the market is just not ready. If CF surges, we'll sell the calls that we bought yesterday.

US and Japan are definitely recession bound. I think the EU is 6 months behind. I also think that Chindia are not decoupled from these markets and will turn down as well. My concerns about a global recession are making me feel like adeeper recession will happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger SR said...

I think the shorts are getting squeezed. I feel the pain. I am almost 20% down on just today :( and another hour to go. Its already close to 400 pts up.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home