Friday, April 04, 2008

Unemployment Surges

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080404/economy.html

Another 80,000 people were laid off in March, significantly more than the 50,000 economists expected.
Unemployment is now at 5.1%. A 0.3% jump in 1 month. We haven't seen a reduction like this since 2003, when the last recession was ending.

(If you recall, yesterday I reported that the experts think we'll hit 5.5% by December. I predicted 6.3% by December.)

The sad part is that the only places hiring are the government and the leisure industry. And I expect the leisure industry to soften by the Summer time.

For a while I've been saying that things are worse than what is being reported and worse than what is expected. In response, I have been told that I have a doom-and-gloom outlook. Actually, it would appear that I have a realistic outlook and others are Polyannas.

Understanding reality enables better investing. Period.

1 Comments:

Blogger SR said...

Thanks Andrew for the analysis. Everything points to the slow-down and the market is resisting all it can and still down only 45pts.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home